This video by Professor George Selgin examines the development, operation and performance of monetary systems in the absence of government intervention. Topics covered include the spontaneous evolution of money, the rise of banks, bank self-regulation under competition and crisis management in the absence of a central bank. Recorded at the Objectivist Summer Conference 2015.
- What is inflation?
- What is the solution to inflation?
- Does capitalism cause depressions?
- How did the government cause the 2008 housing crisis and recession?
- How do banks operate under capitalism without a central bank?
- How do government central banks create financial instability?
- How does central banking promote booms and busts, moral hazard and financial instability?
Help us defend your rights and ensure the future of this site.
This website has taken many hours of time and effort. If you have gained some value from this site, feel free to make a donation to support it by clicking the Donate button.
Donations will be used to improve the content and infratructure for this site, fund a video version of the Capitalism Tour, and fund a beautiful video documentary on capitalism.