This video by Professor George Selgin examines the development, operation and performance of monetary systems in the absence of government intervention. Topics covered include the spontaneous evolution of money, the rise of banks, bank self-regulation under competition and crisis management in the absence of a central bank. Recorded at the Objectivist Summer Conference 2015.
- What is inflation?
- What is the solution to inflation?
- Does capitalism cause depressions?
- How did the government cause the 2008 housing crisis and recession?
- How do banks operate under capitalism without a central bank?
- How do government central banks create financial instability?
- How does central banking promote booms and busts, moral hazard and financial instability?